Nutrient Management

???Nutrient management refers to the use of manure and other fertilizers to meet crop nutrient needs, while reducing the potential for them to run off fields to lakes, streams and groundwater. It helps assure that crops get the right amount of nutrients -- nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, often referred to as N-P-K -- at the right time and place. This benefits the farmer by improving crop yields and reducing costs, and benefits the environment by keeping nutrients on fields and preventing them from running off to streams or down to groundwater.

Nutrient management planning requires testing both soil and manure to learn what the nutrient content is. Nutrient management plans must meet requirements:

  • In ATCP 50, which is a state regulation that lays out how farmers meet standards, administered by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection
  • In NR 151, a state regulation that sets performance standards, enforced by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
  • Wisconsin NRCS 590 Standard, set by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service and state conservation agencies, serving as the basis for a nutrient management plan

In Wisconsin, all farms should have a nutrient management plan. Some farms will follow a nutrient management plan if they:

  • Participate in the Farmland Preservation Program
  • Are offered cost-sharing to develop a plan
  • Accept cost-sharing for manure storage systems
  • Are large livestock operations that require a Wisconsin Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit
  • Are regulated under a local ordinance for manure storage or livestock siting

More than a third of Wisconsin's 9 million cropland acres are under nutrient management plans. DATCP provides financial help and training to farmers, agronomist and agriculture educators. The University of Wisconsin-Madison has developed free software called SnapPlus to help in developing plans. Farmers can work with an agronomist to write nutrient management plans, or write their own if they successfully complete training that meets the standards. To find training in your area, contact your county land conservation office or visit the SnapPlus website

Planning Resources

Planning software and other tools

Professional and laboratory services

590 Standard and related documents

Technical documents for planning professionals

Back to Land and Water Conservation?

爱彩票 临海市 湖北省 钟祥市 大同市 兰溪市 湘潭市 松滋市 铁力市 彭州市 厦门市 宜春市 邹城市 彭州市 山东省 金昌市 平度市 海南省 双滦区 忻州市 葫芦岛市 十堰市 平度市 潞城市 临沂市 阜新市 普兰店市 汉川市 兴城市 都匀市 枣庄市 安达市 烟台市 高邮市 梅河口市 江油市 白银市 丰城市 孝义市 石首市 池州市 葫芦岛市 福建省 金华市 梅河口市 胶州市 上虞市 大石桥市 江阴市 吉首市 大庆市 铁力市 深州市 山西省 厦门市 项城市 永州市 原平市 明光市 耒阳市